Before starting your trip, you can choose to check-in via the traditional check-in at the counter, web check-in at home or the self check-in machines which are available at Vienna Airport. Some airlines (Austrian, Lufthansa, Swiss and Brussels Airlines) already offer their passengers the possibility to drop off their own baggage at a check-in terminal.
There are check-in machines located in each terminal for passengers checking in at the airport to print their boarding passes.
You can check in yourself at one of the check-in machines with your credit card or frequent flyer card (Miles & More), surname, booking code or scanned passport.
Follow the instructions on the machine.
If you have baggage to check in, the machine will indicate which Baggage drop off counters you can use.
You will be issued a boarding pass and baggage tag receipts.
Proceed to the boarding pass or passport control and from there to your gate.
Avoid the queues at the airport by checking in yourself at home using the WEB Check-in service offered by your airline. Print out your boarding pass and present this to the boarding pass control at the airport. If you have any luggage, this should be handed in at a separate counter. Detailed information about WEB Check-in applicable flights can be obtained directly from your airline.
New handling service at the airport
With some airlines (Austrian, Lufthansa, Swiss and Brussels Airlines), you can now check yourself in and drop off your own baggage. Check-in with baggage is quick and easy in just 2 steps.
Step 1: Go to one of the check-in terminals and print your boarding pass and baggage label. Attach the baggage label to your suitcase and then make your way to the baggage drop off area.
Step 2: The baggage is placed on a baggage conveyor belt. The barcode on the baggage label is scanned with a hand-held reader and the baggage is automatically transported away.
The City Air Terminal at Wien-Mitte station offers the services of an airport terminal in the city. There are supervised check-in counters, as well as self-service machines for checking in with or without baggage. If you have already checked in online, you can also just drop off your baggage at Wien-Mitte (Baggage Drop-off).
- Show your CAT ticket at one of the six check-in counters at Wien Mitte.
- Hand over your ticket and baggage to the counter staff.
- You will be issued your boarding pass and baggage tag receipts.
- When you arrive at the airport, proceed to the boarding pass and passport control and from there to your gate.
Depending on the airline, you can check in between 24 hours and 75 minutes before the flight. The precise check-in times can be obtained from your airline.
For an even more exclusive check-in: the new Priority Check-in Zone.
As Business Class customer, Senator or Star Alliance Gold cardholder, you can now start your journey enjoying all benefits of the Austrian Airlines Priority Check-in Zone located in the departure area of Terminal 3. Star Alliance Gold card holders may also use the Priority Check-in Zone.
Late Night Check-in
Late Night Check-in gives you the opportunity to check-in your luggage on the previous day.
The daily opening hours for "baggage drop-off" at Vienna International Airport are 02:00 p.m., 04:00 p.m. and 08:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Oversize baggage and animals
If you are travelling with oversize baggage or a large animal, please note the following steps:
- Inform the airline of your oversize baggage or animal when registering.
- If you are travelling with an animal, you will be given a tag, which you must attach to the cage in which the animal is travelling.
- If you also have normal checked baggage, check it in at one of the counters for the airline you are flying with.
- Hand the counter staff your ticket and baggage.
- You will be issued a boarding pass and baggage tag receipts.
- Proceed with your oversize baggage or animal to one of the check-in counters for oversize baggage for the airline you are flying with in Terminal 1 or Terminal 3.
- Hand your outsize baggage or animal cage to the counter staff. Your animal will not be transported to the aircraft on the baggage conveyor, of course, but will be taken to it by a member of the airport staff.
- You will be issued baggage tag receipts.
- Proceed to the boarding pass or passport control and from there to your gate.
Travelling with Hand Baggage only
After receiving your boarding pass at the check-in kiosk you may walk straight through security.